Thinking of purchasing a new iPhone? Own an Apple Watch and wish to pair it with your new iPhone? Upgraded your Apple Watch to the new Series 8?
If you answered yes. to any of these, you may need to learn how to pair your phone to your Apple Watch. We’ve got you!
Well, pairing an Apple watch to your new phone is not tedious; however, a systematic approach is required so that the pairing happens correctly. Moreover, we should be careful so that we don’t lose any of our precious data. You must remember to backup your Apple Watch to retain the important health data with your phone’s health app.
Let’s dive into the pairing process!
Read more: How to Screenshot on iPhone 11
Ways to pair an Apple Watch with iPhone
It is important to make a note of the device models and the OS versions of both your Apple Watch and iPhone before you start the pairing process.
For instance, Apple Watch models from series 3 onwards running on watchOS 8 are compatible only with the iPhone 6 series or higher and which run on iOS 15 or higher platforms. So, in case you come across any issues during the pairing process, make sure to verify their OS platforms and models.
If you already have an Apple Watch and wish to connect it to a new iPhone, follow the steps mentioned below.
How to pair an old Apple Watch to a new iPhone
- As a first step before the pairing process starts, ensure that you have the backup of your old iPhone ready.
- If the old iPhone data backup is created on iCloud, then the ‘Health’ option under iCloud should be ON. Verify the same at Settings->>[your name]->>Health. It should display a green color as shown below.
- If you choose to backup your old data via a MAC or PC, do remember to encrypt it. If you miss this step, all important information related to Health and Activity on your Apple Watch will go for a toss. The result – you end up losing important information which should not be the case.
- Get your new iPhone ready with everything necessary. During the data transfer process, choose the appropriate backup option from the available list. This is depicted below.
Depending on whether you have your backup on iCloud or your MAC/PC, make the right choice.
- In the next step, you will encounter a screen asking whether you would want to continue with your Apple Watch on this phone. This option is available only if the Apple Watch has been unpaired from the old phone. Tap Continue to proceed further.
- Keep the iPhone and the Apple Watch close to each other. Access the Apple Watch app on the phone.
- Affirm that you would like to use your Apple Watch.
- Start the pairing process by following all the instructions as asked on the screen.
- Complete the setup. Now your Apple Watch is paired with your new iPhone.
How to pair a new Apple Watch to an iPhone
Follow the below-mentioned steps to pair a new Apple Watch with an iPhone.
- Install the Apple Watch app on the iPhone.
- Press on the Start Pairing option. You can do this manually; else, even an automatic process is available.
- Follow all the guidelines displayed on the screen. The pairing will be done.
- You can either set up your Apple Watch afresh or you can use your old data from your previous iWatch.
How to pair an Apple Watch without your Phone
What if you no longer have your old iPhone with you?
Can you still pair your Apple Watch with a new phone? The answer is YES, provided, your Apple Watch data has been secured on iCloud. Follow these guidelines to do the same:
- Delete all the information on your Apple Watch. Access the Settings section on the Apple Watch.
- Then go to General->>Reset.
- Under the Reset category, check for the Erase All Content and Settings option. Tap on it.
- Perform all steps as suggested.
- Make sure that the new iPhone is set up as required. If not, this needs to be done.
- Now, pair your Apple Watch and the iPhone as per the instructions directed.
- Check whether you get the option to back up your Watch data on your new phone. This is possible only if the Watch data is available on iCloud. Else, your previous data is lost and there is no way you can retrieve it back.
How can you save your Health and Activity Data?
As mentioned above, securing all your data on iCloud retains important information. By any chance, if you have not saved your data on iCloud, then you require your old iPhone. If you are without any data backed up or your old iPhone, then all your previous data is lost and cannot be retrieved.
Pairing your Apple Watch to the Peloton app
Peloton, an organization known for manufacturing fitness machines, recently announced that the Apple Watch can track and monitor all of its workouts. Now, with just one tap, fitness lovers can check how many calories they burn while working out.
All one needs to do is to connect the Apple Watch to the Peloton App. This tracks down all the exercises done on Bike, Bike+, Tread, and App.
This also notifies the user of important parameters like heart rate, thereby helping out with the Strive Score. A Strive Score is a measure of our performance in comparison to our earlier workouts.
The Apple Watch app sends a message before commencing the exercise. One simply needs to tap on this message and that’s all. Monitoring begins for all exercises that follow.
How to pair your Apple Watch to the Peloton App?
Follow the steps mentioned below to pair your Apple Watch to the Peloton App.
- Ensure that both your phone and the Apple Watch have the Peloton App. If not, install it on both devices.
- Access the Peloton App on the phone.
- Tap on More. Under the Add-Ons section, check whether the Apple Watch option is available. Tap on it.
- The screen prompts the user to set up the Peloton Watch App with the Apple Watch. At this stage, tap on Set Up.
- On the next screen, the user will be directed to connect to the Apple Watch’s Health App. On this page, enable the Connect to Health App option.
- On your Apple Watch, go to the Health App. Press the Turn On All option. This will permit the Peloton App to connect with the Health App. Now switch over back to the Peloton App and say Done.
- Access the Peloton App on the Apple Watch and tap on Allow to set permissions for receiving alerts. Now, your Apple Watch is paired with your Peloton App.
Before starting any workout, you will receive an alert on your Apple Watch as displayed above. Clicking on Connect will start tracking your workouts. You can start your exercises now with lots of enthusiasm and goals.
Can you pair your Apple Watch with an Android smartphone?
Is it possible to connect an Apple Watch to an Android smartphone? Well, this is possible; however, you would still require an iPhone for the same. Without an iPhone, this is not even remotely achievable. Primarily, the Apple Watch needs to connect with the iPhone service provider’s LTE system. Once this is done, follow the steps mentioned:
- Ensure that all three devices-namely your iPhone, Android phone, and Apple Watch are switched off.
- Take off the SIM card from the iPhone and insert it into the Android device.
- Switch ON your Android device.
- As soon as the Android phone connects to the service provider network, power ON the Apple Watch.
- Observe that the Apple Watch pairs itself with the Android device.
Don’t be surprised if you receive calls on your Apple Watch despite it being connected to an Android device. This is possible owing to the cellular data connection on the Apple Watch. However, some functionalities on your Apple Watch which require an iPhone may not work. Also, the SMS functionality is a little tedious here.
Using LTE for a long time could cause the battery to die faster than usual. This could reduce the life of your Apple Watch. In the long run, it is always better to use Android phones with a smartwatch that fits well within the Android ecosystem.
How to unpair Apple Watch from your old iPhone
You can unpair both the devices two ways — either it can be done via the iPhone or the Apple Watch. Let us go through both these techniques one by one.
How to unpair Apple Watch via iPhone
Follow the below-mentioned steps to unpair your Apple Watch from your old iPhone.
- Check the iOS version of your old iPhone. Update it to the latest version if necessary. This will ensure there is no loss of data when connecting the watch with a new phone and the complete process will turn out to be flawless.
- Likewise, check the OS version running on your Apple Watch. Perform upgradation if necessary.
- Ensure that both your Apple Watch and iPhone are in close proximity to each other.
- On your old iPhone, go to the Apple Watch app->>My Watch->>All Watches.
- Under the ‘My Watches’ section, check whether the Apple Watch that needs to be unpaired is showing.
- Check whether the info icon is showing up beside the Apple Watch to be unpaired and tap on it.
- Once you tap on the info icon, it should display the ‘Unpair Apple Watch’ option.
- Tap on the Unpair Apple Watch option.
- If your Apple Watch is based on a cellular data model, then you may either retain your monthly cellular plan or discard it. In this case, since your Apple Watch has to be paired to a new phone, you can retain it.
- As we require the Apple Watch to pair with a new iPhone, there is no need to disengage the Activation Lock. This is necessary only if the Apple Watch needs to be given off.
- Ensure that all your iPhone data backup is in place. This step is extremely important if you have to prevent data loss. The backup comes in handy when you have to pair your Apple Watch with your new iPhone. You can use either iCloud or your MAC / PC to create the backup.
- The unpairing activity takes a while to complete. Once this activity is completed, the Apple Watch screen gives a language choice to the user. This indicates the end of the unpairing process. A ‘Start Pairing’ message appears on the screen post the unpairing activity.
How to unpair directly from the Apple Watch
You can also unpair the Apple Watch and the iPhone with the aid of the Watch itself. In this method, the Apple Watch resets itself to the factory settings. In this process, the Activation Lock is not at all disturbed and is retained as it is. Let us see the unpairing activity within this technique.
- With the aid of the Apple Watch crown, go to the apps area on the watch.
- Go to Settings->> General->> Reset as shown below.
- Check whether you can view the Erase All Content and Settings option under the Reset section. Tap on this option.
- Post this action, the user will be prompted to enter the passcode. If the Apple Watch is based on a cellular data plan, it can either be removed or retained depending on your choice. If you decide to do away with your cellular plan, inform your service provider about it.
- After inputting in the passcode, go for the Erase All option. Post this action, the Apple Watch resets itself to the factory settings mode.
Well, we hope all of the above information comes in handy if you are thinking of buying a new iPhone and wish to perform any of the procedures mentioned above. For any reason, if you want to unpair your Apple Watch from your old phone, or if you want to pair your iWatch with a new phone, this is the guide for you.
We have also seen how an Apple Watch can be paired to the Peloton app and how it behaves when connected to an Android system. Make sure you follow all the guidelines correctly as mentioned. A systematic step-by-step approach is sure to yield fruitful results.
Read more: How to Clear Instagram Cache
FAQs about pairing your Apple Watch
To pair an Apple Watch to a Peloton, install the Peloton app on both your iPhone and iWatch. Post this, give the required permissions and then connect them both. You can track all your workouts.
There could be a few possibilities owing to which your Apple Watch is refusing to pair with your new iPhone. Few methods of troubleshooting this problem could be:
1. Check the Wi-Fi connectivity in both devices.
2. See if both the devices have their Bluetooth ON and that they are within the permissible range.
3. Sometimes, a simple reboot operation can do the trick for you. Try it out.
4. You can even try to reset the network configuration within the iPhone.
5. Finally, if none of the above techniques work, the last straw could be to reinitialize or reset your Apple Watch and then try pairing it with the phone. Of course, do remember to backup your Watch data before you do this.
There is no need to reset your Apple Watch. Resetting is required only in cases when there is an issue encountered during pairing.
The (i) icon is the key to beginning the pairing process. You can find this icon at the bottom right of an unpaired Apple Watch when it is on your wrist.
You can connect an Apple Watch to an Android Smartphone with the help of an iPhone. Inserting the SIM card of the iPhone into the Android smartphone can do this work for you. However, be informed that certain iWatch apps compatible only with the iPhone may not work when connected to the Android smartphone.
If you happen to lose your iPhone and wish to pair your Apple Watch with a new iPhone, then you need to delete all data from the Apple Watch. You will also have to deactivate the ‘Activation Lock’ so that it can be paired to a new iPhone.